(PF-2) FLUORIDE AND ARSENIC WATER FILTER
Testing for fluoride was based on 20-30ppm of the ion in the influent aqueous solution at a flow rate of no more than 3 gpm (11 lpm) per cubic foot of media.
- PF-2 arsenic and fluoride water filtration results of < 1ppm of the fluoride ion in the effluent were typical for the media. >95% reduction
- Under optimum conditions, effluent concentrations of less than 50 ppb were readily achieved; >99.75% reduction
- Sodium fluoride, sodium fluorosilicate, and fluorosilicic acid (aka hydrofluorosilicic acid) all dissociate (breakdown) to fluoride, sodium, and silicate ions once added to water.
- This PF-2 media filters any type of inorganic fluoride salt ions that are added to the water.
- More Details on Fluoride/Arsenic Filter Testing and Media Specifications
This product uniquely targets the entire family of arsenic oxide anions as well as the arsenic cations.
Under normal conditions it is recommended that each set of two PF-2 elements be replaced after 1,000 gallons (3,785 liters). The Royal Berkey system is about 3.25 gallons (12.3 liters) therefore the PF-2 arsenic and fluoride water filters should be replaced after 1,000/3.25 (3,785/12.3) or 307 refills. If the system is refilled about one time per day, the PF-2's should be replaced after 10 months, if the system is refilled about twice per day, the PF-2's arsenic and fluoride water filters should be replaced about every five months). Actual capacity is dependent on the presence of other competing contaminants in the source water. High levels of fluoride, arsenic and heavy metals may reduce the capacity and efficiency of the elements.
PF-2 Filter NOTES:
- Do not boil this element.
- PF-2 arsenic and fluoride water filters reduce filtration flow rate by 15-20%.
- The media used in the PF-2 filter elements contains high-grade activated aluminum oxide, which currently is the most efficient media available for extracting fluoride from water. Below are the results we obtained when testing the PF-2 arsenic and fluoride water filters (the water was not pre-filtered through the Black Berkey elements). The reduction over time is due to additional residual process dust being washed free from the PF-2 arsenic and fluoride water filters as the system is used. To give a scale for comparison purposes we include test results from a national brand toothpaste and water boiled in an aluminum pan.
- National brand toothpaste 52.878 ppm aluminum
- Water boiled in an aluminum pan for five minutes: 2.791 ppm aluminum
- PF2 after conditioning (5 cycles): .178 ppm aluminum
- PF2 after 10 Cycles: .037 ppm aluminum
- PF2 after 20 Cycles: .029 ppm aluminum
While the above results indicate that the residual process dust adds a minute amount of aluminum to the water, the Black Berkey purification elements reduce aluminum from the water. We tested water that naturally contained .320ppm aluminum and filtered it through the combination of the Black Berkey and the post conditioned PF-2 arsenic and fluoride water filters (5 cycles). The results showed a net reduction in aluminum contamination (Raw influent: .320ppm - Effluent after passing through the Black Berkey and PF-2 arsenic and fluoride water filters: .232ppm). In other words, the Black Berkey elements removed more aluminum from the water than was added by the PF-2 arsenic and fluoride water filters. What is Aluminum Oxide?
For more information on the topic of fluoride, read below:
- The Dangers of Fluoride, The Great Debate
- The Fluoride in Your Water Is Industrial Waste
- ADA recommends no fluoride in infant formula during their first 12 months.
- CDC Sheet on Fluoridation and the Various Forms of Fluoride Additives
HOW ACTIVATED ALUMINA WORKS:
Activated Alumina is a granulated form of aluminum oxide. It is very porous and has a tremendous surface area for the removal of contaminants. In the removal process, the water containing arsenic and/or fluoride passes over the granules in the filter with the activated alumina adsorbing the arsenic and fluoride. The longer the water contact, the more the contaminants are removed.
The manufacturer warrants this product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 6 months from date of purchase. The manufacturer will replace or repair any product that it deems is not properly functioning during the stated warranty period.
BigBerkeyWaterFilters is always at your service to assist you with any warranty claims, send you replacement hardware free of charge if needed, or provide system maintenance support during the life of ownership.
|Chamber Location||Lower Chamber|
|Sold As||Set of 2|
|Durability||1000 Gallons or 2 Years (whichever comes first)|
Sensitive lab testing equipment is used, so testing lower than .5ppm is not an issue. All details on the filters and the testing results can be found here:
I am a little disappointed with the PF-2's I got, as by my calculations, only had about 512 gallons go thru them. But as it is right now I can flush them several times - get one decent refill and then they just seem to clog up and I get very little thru them. Tried flushing them several times in the last few days and - nothing seems to work. Any thoughts or suggestions?
As the fluoride is absorbed out of the water, the pellet size can grow, and this can eventually cause the filters to stop filtering. This would indicate that they've reached their absorption potential and require replacing. Or, you have many minerals in your water, and calcium may have clogged them up. This is not common, but can occur. In this case, the filters would also need to be replaced as there is no method for removing this calcium from the inside of the filters.
Yes, this is normal. The dust wash-off you are witnessing occurs up to the first 10 system flushes, so you may see more of this in the next number of runs. You'd want to continue to clean this out of the lower chamber until the dust wash-off phase is completed.
I've recently purchased and followed the instructions in setting up my big berkey with two carrbon and two pf-2 filters. I'm getting PPM(parts per million) readings around 400 even after 4 full flushes. How many flushes should I be expecting before I get clean water. What is the normal expected PPM? Thanks for your time?
PPM level readings are not an indication of clean or dirty water as they only measure beneficial minerals and heavy metals. The berkeys do not remove beneficial minerals from the water. Typically higher PPM's just indicate higher levels of minerals. So, if your pre-filtered water does not heavy metals in it, the PPM levels before and after will be approx the same, and be a reading this mineral content.
This is the PF-2 dust wash out. Some filters have more than others, so we would wait until you've gone through 10 full system flushes. If after full priming from both sides, and 10 system flushes, it is still washing dust into the lower chamber, then please contact us and we will assist.